CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

World Breastfeeding Week!

And I am so proud to say that I breastfed all 3 of these cuties!


But of course not without struggles. Breastfeeding is HARD work!  When Emma was born she had lost almost a whole pound in 2 days. She then became jaundice. The first thing the covering pediatrician said when she came in the room after the bilirubin results were in was " She needs to be supplemented with formula" She wrote the orders and left and I was heartbroken. I thought...I am trying to establish nursing and now she is forcing a bottle on to my baby? Shortly after the lactation nurse came through on her rounds. I explained the situation and she looked right at me and said "Your baby doesn't need formula....she needs you to nurse her" Those words were music to my ears. And that's what I did...I refused the formula and continued to nurse on demand. She was back to her birth weight in a week and the jaundice was gone too! 


I am still boggled that a Pediatrician would be so quick to tell me to offer my new baby formula. So Thank You to the amazing lactation nurses at SSH for all of your support.  I strongly believe that there needs to be more support for all moms to encourage breastfeeding. Which should include your child's pediatrician. When Emma was about 6months old I asked her pediatrician about the recommended Vitamin D supplements for breastfed babies. His response....."I am supposed to tell you she needs them, BUT I find it hard to believe your body would make milk that's not PERFECT for your baby" What an awesome thing to hear. SO Thank You too Dr David Irons :0) Thank You to Adam for being supportive and telling me how awesome I am even when I was dead exhausted, looking like I had been run over by a truck . Thank You to my mom for talking me down from formula when my supply seemed low, instead you told me to keep nursing and it will pick up...even though I hate to admit it......You were right! Thank You to Melissa for feeling the same way that I do when it comes to breastfeeding!  And Thank you to all the moms that have the courage to nurse your babies in public...Your awesome!

Click Here for 101 reasons to breastfed your baby :0)